The Block Extension Educator is the kind pin for organizing Information, Education Communication activities relating to Health and Family Welfare Programme in the Primary Health Centre/ Block Area. He would be under the immediate administrative Control of the Medical Officer of the Primary Health Centre and he will function under the technical supervision and guidance of the District Mass Education and Information Officer. His main functioning would relate to the promotion of Health and Family Welfare Programme. He will consult District health Officer in formulating the special programme for his Primary Health Centre.
Duties and Functions:
1. Identify the educational needs related to various Maternity and child Health and Family Welfare Programmes in the Primary Health Centre, area.
2. Collect all information relating to Maternity and Child Health and Family Welfare and prepare plan for I.E.C. activities in consultation with the Medical Officer, Primary Health Centre, and
3. Form Health Committee at Village level to enlist co-operation of the opinion leader especially women for Maternity and child Health and Youths Family Welfare, Family Welfare Media Programme once a Month (i.e) 12 meetings per year.
4. Procure maintain and maximum use of mass Media equipments.
5. Maintain records of IEC activities, tour programmes daily diaries and other registers and ensure preparation and display of relevant maps and charts in the Primary Health Centre.
6. Maintain liaison with District Bureau to procure regular and adequate supply of IEC materials and contraceptives and ensure proper distribution and ensure availability with each and every health staff, namely M.P.H.W (F) and Male Workers and Male Supervisors ensure display of materials at each sub-centre.
7. Establish working relationship with the Block Development Officer and enlist his staff’s co-operation in the implementation of Maternity and Child Health and Family Welfare Programme.
8. Co-ordinate with Education Department. Nehru Yuva Kendra, Social Welfare Department. Agriculture Industrial Department etc., for promoting family welfare and MCH Scheme.
9. He should participate all the function and festivals conducted in the Block areas and conduct propaganda and publicity on Family Welfare Scheme.
10. He will be member of the Local Block Level Family Welfare Committee and act as a resource person.
11. Organise Mass Media Programme, Mini-exhibitions. Film shows, Cultural programmes weekly/Monthly celebrations and IEC programmes at local fairs on market day etc., utilising Audio Cassettes.
12. Work with industrial/factories and other Government and Non-Government agencies to strength IEC activities relates to Maternity and Child Health and Family Welfare.
13. Use various approaches (individual. group and Mass) to popularize Maternity and Child Health and Family Welfare Programme among rural people.
14. Organise Educational Programmes for formal and non-formal (out of school) groups on population education and health measures.
15. Co-ordination with animators of Adult Education Department in organising learners classes.
16. Co-ordinate activities with Service Organisations like Rotary/Lions/Jacess/LPG distributors etc
17. Organise short Orientation Training Camps/Educational Programme for various voluntary agencies and other target groups.
18. Conduct Family Welfare Leaders Camps.
19. Use opinion leaders, satisfied customers and secure credible Persons to bring out recording news letters etc.,
20. Organising service Training for Lady Health Visitors and Multi Purpose Health Workers on IEC.
21. Organise short orientation training on IEC for supportive staff such as private Medical Practitioners, teachers, Social /communicators, Sanitary Workers, Adult Education Supervisors, Animators and ICDS workers.
22. Prepare talking points in relation to educational activities carried out in the Primary Health Centre Area.
23. Provide guidance to field staff in IEC activities related to Maternity and Child Health and Family Welfare.
24. Work with all the Co-operative Society members; provide Male staff to visit Co-operative societies regularly. Supply them Nirodh, Organised Training and discussions for members various Co-operative societies.
25. He will review youth club and organize their activities. He will review the woman’s club and organize its activities.
26. He will organize special Health campaigns in the event of any epidemic or out break of any diseases.
27. He will propagate preventive aspects of health through the Health Staff and promote hygiene and sanitation in the Village.
28. Conduct periodical evaluations to study the impact of IEC.
29. Tour for 15 days in a month for the purposes for inspections and conducting field programmes.
30. He should submit monthly reports on Mass Education and Extension education activities of Primary Health Centre, before 10th of every month to district Family Welfare, Maternity and Child Health Officer and copy to the district Mass Education and Information Officer.