There will be on an average, one Health Inspector (Grade I) in a Primary Health Centre, some places more, depending on the population of the Primary Health Centre or the Nos. of Health Sub-Centres. One Health Inspector (Grade I) will supervise monitor and guide the work of 3 to 4 Health Inspector Grade I and (Grade 2) at Health Sub-Centre level by making periodical field visits as per the calendar of activities in his jurisdiction.
He will carryout the following functions in the area.
1. He will supervise the work of all the Health Inspectors Grade 1 or (Grade 2) in his jurisdiction atleast once in a week.
2. He will supervise and check the current as well the past weeks of the Health Inspectors Grade 1 or (Grade 2)
2. Surveillance and containment
1. He will do surveillance activities and organize containment measures for communicable diseases including vaccine preventable diseas8s.
2. He will investigate, prepare and maintain epidemiological case sheets for communicable diseases.
3. He will administer radical treatment for Malaria.
4. He will organize and conduct insecticidal spray operations with the assistance of the Health Inspector Grade 1 and (Grade 2) at Health sub centre level under the guidance of the entomologists, when vector borne diseases are reported in his area.
5. He will ensure prompt notification of all communicable diseases to his superiors.
3. General sanitation
1. He will inspect all water sources in his jurisdiction periodically at regular intervals and verify and ensure proper chlorination by the local bodies.
2. He will organize sanitary measures for Fairs and Festivals in his area.
3. He will visit all Noon Meal Centres in his area atleast once in three months and ensure proper sanitation in and around the noon meals centres and also ensure food hygiene.
4. He will co-ordinate with the local bodies to ensure general sanitation of villages.
5. He will maintain a list of depot holders and monitor not less 25% of depot holders every month.
6. He will co-ordinate in organizing school Health services including immunization of school children.
7. He will be responsible for mopping high risk areas with specific reference to the natural calamities and epidemics.
7. Birth and Death
1. He will act as checking officer for Birth and Death registration.
2. He will maintain vital statistics posting register
3. He will detect omission in Birth and deaths during his field visits and take action to register them.
8. Implementation of Health related Acts
1. He will exercise and enforce the Provision of the Tamil Nadu Public Health Act, Birth and Death Registration Act, Prevention of Food Adulteration Act and other Health related Acts.
2. He will prepare and maintain the list of Dangerous and offensive Trades in the area and provide the list to the Licensing Authority.
9. He will conduct independent survey in atleast 4 villages in a month for evaluation the health care services rendered in these villages.
10. He will actively involve himself and make the Health Inspectors Grade I and (Grade 2) working under his involve in the various Health related camp activities organized in or outside his area.
11. He will plan and organize I.E.C. activities in his area in coordination with his colleagues and in coordination with other sectors.
12. He will review the WOLKS done by the Health Inspectors Grade 1 and (Grade 2) on the days of the review meeting first and will assist the Medical officer. Primary Health Centre in conducting the review/ staff meeting.
13. He will ensure adequate supply of materials drugs, insecticides, disinfectants to the Health Inspectors (Grade 2) by proper monitoring and indenting supplies.
14. Records and Registers.
1. He will maintain all prescribed records and registers.
2. He will periodically submit the reports prescribed.
3. He will ensure proper maintenance of records and registers and submission of returns by the Health Inspectors Grade 1 and (Grade 2) at Health Sub-Centre.
4. He will display Charts and diagrams relating to this activities and the activities of the Health Inspectors Grade I and (Grade 2) under him in the Primary Health Centre.
15. He will carry out the job responsibilities of the Health Inspector (Grade 2) whenever he is posted to work in a Health Sub Centre area.
16. He will carry out any other duties assigned to him by his superiors and by the Director of Public Health and Preventive Medicine.17. He will carry out all the prescribed job responsibilities as per the guidelines issued by the Director of Public Health a Preventive Medicine from time to time