(1) The Community Health Nurse shall work under the immediate control, guidance and supervision of the Medical Officer in-charge of the Block Primary Health Centre and over all-administrative, and technical control and supervision and guidance of the Deputy director of Health Services concerned.
(2) She will supervise, control and guide the Female component of the Field Health Staff i.e., Sector Health Nurses (Multipurpose Health Supervisors (Female) and Village Health Nurse (i.e. Multipurpose Health Workers (Female).
(3) The Female component of the Field Health Staff of the Primary Health Centres and Health Sub-centres of the Block shall work under the immediate technical control and supervision of the Community Health Nurse and over all administrative control of the medical Officer of the Primary Health Centre concerned.
(4) The community Health Nurse shall keep herself conversant with the villages, Topography and the demographic characteristics, health needs and demands and public health problems in the block area.
(5) The Community Health Nurse is responsible to assist the Medical Officers of the Primary Health Centres concerned and thus ensure the performance and achievement by the Female component of the Field Health Staff of the Primary Health ‘centres and Health Sub-centres in respect of various Health Programmes are including Family Welfare Programme in the block area. She shall ensure that all the activities under various Health and Family Welfare Programmes are implemented by the Sector Health Nurses (i.e. Multipurpose Health Supervisors (Female) and Village Health Nurses (i.e. Multipurpose Health Workers (Female) in the area of their jurisdiction.
II. FUNCTIONS UNDER MATERNITY AND CHILD HEALTH SERVICES
(1) She shall ensure rendering of Mother and Child Health care services such as pre-natal, inter natal, and postnatal care of mothers and infants and Pre-School child health care by and through the Female component of the Field Health Staff of the Primary Health Centres, Health Sub-Centres and Supervision of Services rendered by Dais.
(2) She shall assist the Medical Officers of the Primary Health Centres and ensure by effective supervision in screening of high-risk cases of pregnancy and infants. Children by the Female component of the Field Health Staff for arranging for provision of special care and higher medical attention by referral to the appropriate higher treatment facility centres.
(1) She shall assist the Medical Officer, Primary Health Centre to Plan, organize and implement immunisation service under UIP as per the latest policy and National immunization Schedule and Sate Government instructions and ensure universal coverage of eligible beneficiary population in each village and Habitation in the block area thro’ the Female component of the Field Health staff of the Health Sub-Centres and Primary Health Centres by proper calendar of activities and visits.
(2) She shall assist the Medical Officers, Primary Health Centres to ensure adequate supplies of vaccines i.e antigens and all equipments and items required for immunization services from time to time for the effective implementation of the immunization services in the Community.
(3) She shall with the guidance and support of the Medical Officer, Primary Health Centre ensure proper storage of vaccines under optimum and prescribed temperature in Primary Health Centres in the field and she will inspect the cold chain equipments in all places and ensure continuous cold chain during transport of vaccines.
(4) She shall assist the Medical Officer, Primary Health Centre to investigate and report all adverse event, reactions and complications arising out of administration of immunization and arrange to undertake necessary remedial corrective measures as required under guidance and supervision of the Medical Officers of the Primary Health Centres.
(5) She shall assist the Medical Officers of the Primary Health Centres and District Health authorized to plan, organize and implement services for effective administration of various nutrition programmes and administration of Vitamin-A solution and Iron and folic Acid supplementation to the eligible beneficiaries that the Female Field Health Staff.
(6) She shall ensure that the Sector Health Nurses and Village Health Nurses of Primary Health Centres and Health Sub Centres visit all the TamilNadu Nutritious Noon Meal Programme Centres/Community Nutrition Centres and ICDS (Anganwadi) Centres in her area regularly and ensure provision of health care services including referral as per programme instructions to the children.
(7) She shall ensure that the periodic monitoring of the growth and development of children from the time of birth as carried out by Village Health Nurses and Sector Health Nurse at appropriate intervals and so that the Health cards and related records are maintained by concerned Field Health and Nutrition functionaries as per programme directives.
(8) She shall assist the Medical Officer, Primary Health Centres in ensuring that all cases of maternal and infant and child deaths are investigated socio-epidemiologically and notified to higher authorities and arrange to undertake rendering of suitable preventive and remedial measures to prevent such mortality under the guidance and supervision of Medical Officers of Primary Health Centres and district Health Authorities.
(9) She shall assist the Medical Officers to ensure conduct of regular surveillance by all the field Health Staff of the Primary Health Centers and Health Sub-Centres in respect of occurrence of the Vaccine preventable diseases in her block area and maintain Health Sub-Centre wise and Primary Health Centre wise account of all cases of vaccine preventable diseases in collaboration and coordination with Block Health supervisor (Male).
(10) She shall verify the stock position of all the items of equipments, syringes, needles and vaccines and ensure proper flow of materials and vaccines with little room for shortage or surplus.
(11) She will maintain and ensure sterilization of syringes and needles and adoption of practice of one syringe. One needle for one child for each Immunisation administered by Field Health staff implementing immunization services both in the clinic and in the community.
(1) She shall be responsible to assist the Medical Officers of the Primary Health Centres for the successful and affective implementation of National Family Welfare Programme through the Female Health Staff of Primary Health Centres and Health sub-Centres in her block.
(2) The Community Health Nurse is responsible for implementation of activities under information and Education on Family Welfare in collaboration with Block Extension Educator and motivation of staff and strengthen and supervision of Family Welfare Services and after care and follow-up.
(3) She shall with the Female Health Supervisors i.e Sector Health Nurse arrange follow-up of Family Welfare cases and accepts of Family Welfare methods such as intrauterine device and oral pills etc. for immediate management and referral if any