The Health Educator will function under the technical supervision and guidance of the Block Extension Educator. However, he/she will be under the immediate administrative control of the PHC Medical Officer. He/she will be responsible for providing support to all health and family welfare programmes in the block.
Duties and Functions:
1. He/she will have with him/her all information relevant to development activities in the block, particularly concerning health and family welfare, and will utilize the same for programme planning.
2. He/she will develop his/her work plan in consultation with the medical officer of his/her PHC and the concerned Block Extension Educator.
3. He/she will collect analyses and interpret the data in respect of extension education work in his/her PHC area.
4. He/she will be responsible or regular maintenance of records of educational activities, tour programmes, daily dairies and other registers, and will ensure preparation and display of relevant maps and charts in the PHC.
5. He/she will assist the Medical Officer, PHC in conducting training of health workers under the MPW and VHN/ASHA and other schemes under NRHM.
6. He/she will organize the celebration of health days and weeks and publicity programmes at local fairs, on market days, etc.
7. He/she will organize orientation training for health and family welfare workers, opinion leaders, local medical practitioners, school teachers, dais and other involved in health and family welfare work.
8. He/she will assist the organizing mass communication programmes like film shows, exhibition, lecturers and dramas,
9. He/she will supervise the work of field workers in the area of education and motivation.
10. He/she will supply education material on health and family welfare to health workers in the block.
11. While on tour he /she will verify entries in the eligible couple register for every village and do random checking of family welfare acceptors.
12. While on tour he/she will check the available stock of conventional contraceptive with the depot holders and the kits with VHN/ MPHWs and ASHAs.
13. He/she will help field workers in winning over resistant cases and drop-outs in the health and family welfare programmes.
14. He/she will maintain a complete set of educational aids on health and family welfare for his/her own use and for training purpose.
15. He/she will organize population education and health education sessions in schools and for out-of school youth.
16. He/she will maintain a list of prominent acceptors of family planning methods and opinion leader’s village wise and will try to involve them in the promotion of health and family welfare programmes.
17. He/she will prepare a monthly report on the progress of educational activities in the block and send it to the higher authority.